Friday, January 24, 2020

WORD PAINTINGS #80 - FROM THE PORTAL

“If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with… There's no place like home.” Dorothy - The Wizard of Oz

Studio #5/20 - HUNTER'S MOON (10/12/2019 - Llano Quemado, New Mexico - 40"x30" Original Oil

25 January 2020 - Llano Quemado, New Mexico - No long naps for me this winter!  Finally completed Hunter's Moon - the night last fall when I was feeling a little worse for wear after all the chaos of previous months. Grabbed my jacket and camera and the whole world turned right side up once more!  This painting has been made in my mind a hundred times since that night - and here it is!

Each morning when I raise the shade in the studio and look at Taos Mountain, I know that this move could not have happened without the chaos and this painting would never have been made!  Looking back on my life from the vantage of my 80 years I am astonished when I realize that those ugly times when I felt so broken and ready to throw in the towel this new place has breathed life into my old Self.  How did this happen? The only word to describe this time is Grace!  Each day is truly a gift!

Can't walk without my cane and am unable to eat as much green chile as I'd like, but today I took an empty-handed leap into the void - ordered six 30"x40" linen canvases, ten frames and four quarts of English Distilled Turpentine!!!  Working through these quiet winter months, ten new paintings have either been sketched out or underpainted.  Laughed with a friend this afternoon that I could be overly optimistic, but what the Hell - why not? As long as there is paint on my brush, I'll just keep painting.....

Hug an artist today!  DC
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

WORD PAINTINGS #142 - GUATEMALA 1991 PART III - CIVIL WAR

WORD PAINTINGS  # 142 (How I Came to New Mexico and learned about Art and Life) - GUATEMALA PART III - CIVIL WAR The pace of this trip was e...