Saturday, March 25, 2023

WORD PAINTINGS #130 - A CAUTIONARY TALE


WORD PAINTINGS # 130 (How I Came to New Mexico and learned about Art and Life) - A CAUTIONARY TALE!

Sometimes when we least expect it, Life Happens!!

Had a fall last September (I slid rather ungracefully to my bedroom floor) - was unable to raise myself up.  The EMTs arrived and were concerned that my oxygen levels were very low.  They put me in an ambulance and whisked me to the Emergency Room at Holy Cross Hospital. What happened next was Terrifying!!!!  The ER doctor asked what happened and I pointed to my right knee and said "I leg lifted 400 lbs....." - with that she left the room and didn't hear me add "25 years ago and my right knee gives way now and I fell this morning."  

She got on the phone with my son-in-law a retired brain surgeon. He and I hadn't had any contact for long time, so he didn't have a clue to my state of mind or physical condition. Together they, along with one of my helpers, decided that I needed to be transferred to the Psych Ward for evaluation.  The "brain" surgeon diagnosed me with delusions of grandeur!  Through some miracle, they reached my daughter Sarah in Germany - 3AM and she's in bed with Covid.  Finally she convinces the girl at the desk that she had seen me only ten days before and besides - she had my Power of Attorney!!! 

Why am I sharing this story?  Certainly not for entertainment! This is a cautionary tale to anyone of a certain age who hasn't done the work of making end of life choices. I know, I know - but if I had been sent for evaluation, my rise in blood pressure from the fear would have caused them to medicate me.  Once I was medicated I was just an 83 year old woman with delusions of grandeur.  I would have no more choices about anything. All my belongings - my easels, paints, brushes, precious things would be scattered to the winds. (Remember that scene in Zorba the Greek when the woman dies in the village her neighbors take all her things in minutes and empty her little house to the bones?) I would have been sent to some old people's orphanage and left there just staring at the gray walls just waiting for someone - anyone - to visit!!!  Do your homework!!! Don't wait for a medical crisis!!!

Thanks to Sarah, I had a stay of execution.  I had no injuries and was released from the hospital that evening....along with a new and very noisy companion in the form of a respirator and a very long hose that follows me all over the house 24/7.  It is an awkward ballet daily to avoid the loops and tangles, but am still able to get to the easel every day.  Still making plans for new work. As long as there is breath in my body I plan to keep moving - albeit just a little bit slower now!  (Read Amy B. Scher's amazing book This is How I Save My Life.)

Footnote: I finally realized that the smoke from the horrific Hermit's Peak Fire compromised my oxygen levels and it was hard for me to catch my breath.  Also experienced a "fogginess" - couldn't concentrate.  If you are of a certain age and lived through those unbearable days of heavy smoke anywhere near this fire - check with your doctor.  Have them check your oxygen capacity! My PA says that they have noticed more oldsters with some breathing difficulties. Finally take the time to appoint "your person in the world" - Trust them with your the Power of Attorney...put your End of Life Choices in writing.

Now I am going to have a cup of coffee and head back to my easel to paint another day! 

Best regards, Donna

PS - a few months before I fell, I purchased a Thrive Medical Alert system through Amazon. At first I hated wearing that medallion every day - but I was able to get the help I needed by just pressing  button!  When one gets to the ripe old age of 83 the word for the day is ADAPT!!! 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

WORD PAINTINGS #140 - GUATEMALA 1991 - SEMANA SANTA PART I

BEARERS. OF LIGHT - COFRADIA, IGLESIA DE SANTO TOMAS - 1991 February 1991 - Listening to Joseph the Starwatcher while painting my Taos studi...